Wednesday 7 October 2009

Toy Story 3D

Excited about a movie we’d all seen several times before? You bet we were! Last Friday I bounced into a cinema screen like I hadn’t done for over a decade.

Having been very impressed by the latest version of the 3D cinema experience when we took the plunge and went to see Monsters Vs Aliens a wee while back, we were really looking forward to this one. It’s not hard to see why when I break this down in true Joey Tribbiani style - probably a reviewing technique that the likes of Radio 1’s James King wishes he’d thought of (I don’t know about you but I think he has a terrible taste in movies, but even he gave this 5/5!)...

Whats not to like? Toy Story, good. RealD 3D Digital Cinema, good. Getting to walk out of the cinema with 20-30 other people all still wearing polarised glasses and looking like you’ve all come out of a Blue Brothers re-enactment, good!

This new generation of 3D cinema really does beat the pants off the older 3D versions. I remember being at Alton Towers in their 3D cinema as well as the odd IMAX elsewhere and coming out feeling quite nauseous. I’m surely not that prone to it? I’ve never been car sick and even when my cousin and I decided to spend the best part of a morning at Blackpool Pleasure beach riding only anything that spins, and riding those rides repeatedly we didn't hurl. We might have been dizzy and in need of food to give our internal organs some stable and cohesive binding, but it wasn’t as bad as a 30 minute visit to see an unstable 3D adventure. With the new range of digital 3D cinema, we’ve headed to the Odeon mainly so far, and I believe they use RealD, this has been by convenience more than choice, but undoubtedly it has been first rate. The screen still seems very bright, the colours are great, the 3D really does stand out and the experience has been all together brilliant. Sure it might seem outdated and be superseded before long, but right now, it’s quite a sight, quite literally.

The only downside I’ve found has been the cost. The Odeon is far too expensive, as it is anyway for its regular tickets, especially compared, over here in Northern Ireland, to the Movie House cinemas. With the 3D showings, for 2 adult tickets and a bag of sweets, you’re not going to get much change from a £20 note.

Toy Story itself was the same bunch of giggles and action as it was in 2D but in 3D that extra dimension really does add an extra dimension. Seeing Andy’s toys coming to life with depth was great, it was like watching it for the first time again and brought you closer into the characters CGI world. From the reactions of those in front and from my own behaviour, it seemed like everyone was taking random turns at smiling at whoever they were with. Not to spoil it for anyone, but even the credits had a hint of 3D to them!

All in all, it was probably worth the money this time but I do hope it comes down in price a little, and perhaps it will if the hints are true that 3D TV might be upon us in the not so distant future.

3 comments:

  1. I am the general manager of Odeon Belfast and I would like to invite you and a guest to come and see the new Disney 3D film UP thats released this week. (Maybe even write a further blog after this) Please e-mail me directly on gm.belfast@odeonuk.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more excited than is really acceptable for an adult of 26 years old to see UP in 3D, wish I could score a nice invite from the the Odeon too :) which I agree is on the pricey side.

    Coraline was great in 3D, probably my favourite 3D animation so far. I would be interested in trying to recreate the 3D experience at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did very much appreciate the offer from the general manager of the Odeon, however I have emailed to decline. I don't mean to seem ungrateful, far from it, but accepting such an offer would not be within the ethos of my blog. I still do hope to make it to the Odeon again in the near future and to hopefully watch UP there or elsewhere.

    I agree Chris, it would be interesting to see how the 3D experience would work at home. I've never tried it but I have read before that it is possible to make the likes of your holiday photo's 3D in the old sense of the 3D images with the red and green glasses.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-3D-Photos

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails